Tuesday 8 April 2008

More great poll results

Another great result in the opinion polls last night putting Boris 13% clear. Although one of the strongest messages to come with it from BJHQ in the press was that no one can afford to be complacent and we need to keep fighting until the last to make sure we win. Alarmingly I realised that we are just over 3 weeks away from the election (and five weeks from my wedding, but that is another blog altogether). I think that calls for a step up in activity. Maybe 3 mornings a week and 1 evening a week for the next couple of weeks.
I was out at Holborn this morning, after a tip from one of the 'professional' leafleteers (ie. the young guys handing out flyers for theatre tickets) that this was the best station for handing things out. I decided to try the side entrance where there was a steady stream of commuters, although I did have to speak louder than normal as there was a pneumatic drill not so far away.

I'm really starting to notice an increased level of interest. At first (4 weeks ago) I got a lot of smiles from people but not much interest. I still get the smiles, but now there is a lot more interest and the leaflets are disappearing very quickly. At some points I was almost under attack as commuters jostled to grab my leaflets from both sides and I couldn't get them out fast enough. I suppose it's because I am actively campaigning, calling out to "vote for a better London, vote for Boris Johnson". People hear that as they come out of the ticket gates and can make up their minds to come and take one or not.
There was a professional leafleteer in the same exit and I think a lot of people thought he too was giving out Boris material, they might be surprised that Boris is supporting the latest west end theatre production!
Not so many hecklers anymore, I think it shows that people realise that Boris is a contender and they have to take him seriously. It has taken weeks to get his policy ideas out there, but his office has been amazing and virtually every day there has been some new initiative and a photo of Boris around the capital connecting with people. it's great.
I only had one guy who really made a point of showing his disagreement and walked back to rip up the leaflet in my face, 'yes well make sure you put it in the bin'.
All in all, Holborn is a very busy station. I think i will try and recruit some other volunteers to help me there next week.
There was due to be a tube strike on Monday and Tuesday that was canceled, it would have very clearly indicated to commuters the real cost of having a labour mayor.
I have another outing this evening at the no2ID hustings. Should be a good one and I hope we come face to face with the Ken supporters again.

No comments: