Tuesday 15 April 2008

Marathon, Edmonton and Oxford Curcus

We're getting very close to the election now, but it's good to know that there is a growing band of supporters right across the capital.
I was out at the Marathon on Sunday. I found a very good spot on Hungerford bridge that allowed me a good view of the runners on the embankment. I managed almost 2 hours in the pretty cold and windy weather, before it started really raining at 2pm and I had to head back home. I'm not a fair weather supporter normally, but after 2 hours I felt I'd done enough. And it was proper nasty rain, cold and wet, not at all summery. I guess the runners had the worst of it though.
Monday and I headed up to Edmonton for my first face to face with Ken supporters. (I can't remember whether I mentioned that I met "The Left List" supporters at the event on Euston road. The one guy I was talking to was very friendly and we discussed a number of issues in the gaps in the flow of people). I must admit that Ken's supporters were also on the whole very friendly and mostly young. We didn't get into any debates as such and they outnumbered me about 6 to 1! There wasn't much 'passing traffic' on the street outside the venue and by the time we arrived most people were already inside waiting in the bar. I bit the bullet and snuck inside and started handing out flyers and newsletters as far and wide as I good. It was quite exhilirating being in amongst a crowd like that, quite a few people who said they definitely wouldn't vote for Boris (or something like that) and I had a chance to make a couple of ripostes. The majority did at least want to read his newsletter. I did a circuit or two before returning outside to the cold, where I met the Ken supporters. We started into a bit of banter and before long they had amassed a web across the road to reach anyone who walked past. I joked that I would get fit running around between them trying to keep up, but in the end there really weren't that many punters.
Boris arrived at around 7. As he got out of his car, I let out an involuntary "Hooray for Boris" and he looked up suddenly and whacked his head on the door frame. Whoops, sorry Boris. I hope he didn't have concussion for the hustings. Ken stumbled in by himself at about 7:20.
The Ken supporters disintegrated at around 7:30 and I followed suit, because it was becoming freezing!
This morning (Tuesday) I was out at Oxford Circus again. It's hard to spot a trend, especially at a station that I have flyered before. I got rid of a good stack of leaflets and had a lot of comments of support. I didn't have as many hecklers as usual, but I did have my first slightly aggresive response, two in fact. One lady who told me I was a 'stupid idiot', to which I pointed out that at least I was getting involved rather than just complaining. The second I didn't really see but it was a guy who shouted "F** off" and I shouted after him, "That's a great political argument, come and have a debate if you think you're smart enough". Needless to say he didn't.
Maybe there is a slight polarisation now. I think also some left wing people who were laughing off Boris a few weeks back, now have seen the polls and are worried and have become slightly more vocal.
I have a huge amount of respect for the Ken and left list supporters, who like me volunteer their time to get out on the streets and support their candidate. As I mentioned to them, we all want a better London. But being on the street like this morning, you realise that there are a lot of people who don't have the same level of maturity or intelligence and who would rather just shout abuse. Well, let them. Sticks and stones, we're still going to win.
Two hustings this evening, should be fun. I'm going to be very very hoarse tomorrow.

No comments: